schliessen

Filtern

 

Bibliotheken

BETA-2 Score Allows for Convenient and Precise Monitoring of Islet Function and Early Detection of Islet Dysfunction

INTRODUCTION: BETA-2 was developed to more conveniently and precisely assess islet graft function than commonly used beta-score, which requires a stimulation test. After validation of BETA-2 in our cohort of patients in relation to 90-min glucose in a mixed meal tolerance test and beta-score, we dec... Full description

Journal Title: Transplantation 2018, Vol.102 Suppl 7S-1, pp.S74-S74
Main Author: Bachul, J., Piotr
Other Authors: Gołębiewska, R., Justyna , Basto, T., Lindsay , Kijek, T., Mark , Fillman, T., Natalie , Cieply, T., Kamil , Golab, T., Karolina , Wang, T., Ling-Jia , Tibudan, T., Martin , Thomas, T., Celeste , Dębska-Ślizień, T., Alicja , Fung, T., John , Witkowski, T., Piotr
Format: Electronic Article Electronic Article
Language:
Quelle: Copyright © 2013 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. All rights reserved.
ID: ISSN: 0041-1337 ; DOI: 10.1097/01.tp.0000542654.38281.99
Link: http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&NEWS=n&CSC=Y&PAGE=fulltext&D=ovft&AN=00007890-201807001-00123
Zum Text:
SendSend as email Add to Book BagAdd to Book Bag
Staff View
recordid: ovid00007890-201807001-00123
title: BETA-2 Score Allows for Convenient and Precise Monitoring of Islet Function and Early Detection of Islet Dysfunction
format: Article
creator:
  • Bachul, J., Piotr
  • Gołębiewska, R., Justyna
  • Basto, T., Lindsay
  • Kijek, T., Mark
  • Fillman, T., Natalie
  • Cieply, T., Kamil
  • Golab, T., Karolina
  • Wang, T., Ling-Jia
  • Tibudan, T., Martin
  • Thomas, T., Celeste
  • Dębska-Ślizień, T., Alicja
  • Fung, T., John
  • Witkowski, T., Piotr
ispartof: Transplantation, 2018, Vol.102 Suppl 7S-1, pp.S74-S74
description: INTRODUCTION: BETA-2 was developed to more conveniently and precisely assess islet graft function than commonly used beta-score, which requires a stimulation test. After validation of BETA-2 in our cohort of patients in relation to 90-min glucose in a mixed meal tolerance test and beta-score, we decided to assess the practical utility of BETA-2 in monitoring islet allograft function in individual patients. METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed BETA-2 calculations during clinical evaluations in islet allotransplantation (ITx) recipients with up to 3 islet infusions. We specifically looked in reference to previously established BETA-2 cut-offs for the detection of glucose intolerance 13. RESULTS: We analyzed 298 BETA-2 scores calculated in 14 patients (7 women and 7 men) with an average age of 42.9 ± 9.5 years. In these patients, BETA-2 correlated well with islets function. Four patients, who experienced stable, long-term insulin independence after only one transplant, had a BETA-2 continuously over 18 (Fig 1).(Figure is included in full-text article.)Another 3 patients required a second transplant to reach the same outcome with the same BETA-2 characteristic (Fig 2).(Figure is included in full-text article.)In those patients, despite only discrete changes in fasting glucose level, the BETA-2 decreased to below 18 and continued gradually declining. This drop in BETA-2 always predicted islet dysfunction, the need for insulin support and subsequent transplant, which became clinically obvious as BETA-2 dropped below 13 (Fig 3 and 4).(Figure is included in full-text article.)(Figure is included in full-text article.)In the remaining patients, even when BETA-2 eventually reached peak above 18 after subsequent transplant, islet function gradually declined without obvious reason within a year or 2 with BETA-2 below 13 requiring re-introduction of insulin support. (Fig 4).One of these patients has not been able to stop insulin completely despite 3 subsequent transplants but BETA-2 has never increased above 18, which confirms utility of BETA-2. 12% (14/121) of BETA-2 measurements above 18 were made during the early period after iTx, when insulin was administered irrespectively of beta-cell function, in order to facilitate islet engraftment. In 80.2% of cases (142/177) where BETA-2 value was above the cut-off of 13, patients were off-insulin. The remaining 19.8% were on insulin due to failing islet function with dropping BETA-2 or supporti
language:
source: Copyright © 2013 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. All rights reserved.
identifier: ISSN: 0041-1337 ; DOI: 10.1097/01.tp.0000542654.38281.99
fulltext: fulltext
issn:
  • 0041-1337
  • 00411337
url: Link


@attributes
ID492003474
RANK0.07
NO1
SEARCH_ENGINEprimo_central_multiple_fe
SEARCH_ENGINE_TYPEPrimo Central Search Engine
LOCALfalse
PrimoNMBib
record
control
sourcerecordid00007890-201807001-00123
sourceidovid
recordidTN_ovid00007890-201807001-00123
sourceformatXML
sourcesystemOther
display
typearticle
titleBETA-2 Score Allows for Convenient and Precise Monitoring of Islet Function and Early Detection of Islet Dysfunction
creatorBachul, J., Piotr ; Gołębiewska, R., Justyna ; Basto, T., Lindsay ; Kijek, T., Mark ; Fillman, T., Natalie ; Cieply, T., Kamil ; Golab, T., Karolina ; Wang, T., Ling-Jia ; Tibudan, T., Martin ; Thomas, T., Celeste ; Dębska-Ślizień, T., Alicja ; Fung, T., John ; Witkowski, T., Piotr
ispartofTransplantation, 2018, Vol.102 Suppl 7S-1, pp.S74-S74
identifierISSN: 0041-1337 ; DOI: 10.1097/01.tp.0000542654.38281.99
descriptionINTRODUCTION: BETA-2 was developed to more conveniently and precisely assess islet graft function than commonly used beta-score, which requires a stimulation test. After validation of BETA-2 in our cohort of patients in relation to 90-min glucose in a mixed meal tolerance test and beta-score, we decided to assess the practical utility of BETA-2 in monitoring islet allograft function in individual patients. METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed BETA-2 calculations during clinical evaluations in islet allotransplantation (ITx) recipients with up to 3 islet infusions. We specifically looked in reference to previously established BETA-2 cut-offs for the detection of glucose intolerance <18 and insulin independence >13. RESULTS: We analyzed 298 BETA-2 scores calculated in 14 patients (7 women and 7 men) with an average age of 42.9 ± 9.5 years. In these patients, BETA-2 correlated well with islets function. Four patients, who experienced stable, long-term insulin independence after only one transplant, had a BETA-2 continuously over 18 (Fig 1).(Figure is included in full-text article.)Another 3 patients required a second transplant to reach the same outcome with the same BETA-2 characteristic (Fig 2).(Figure is included in full-text article.)In those patients, despite only discrete changes in fasting glucose level, the BETA-2 decreased to below 18 and continued gradually declining. This drop in BETA-2 always predicted islet dysfunction, the need for insulin support and subsequent transplant, which became clinically obvious as BETA-2 dropped below 13 (Fig 3 and 4).(Figure is included in full-text article.)(Figure is included in full-text article.)In the remaining patients, even when BETA-2 eventually reached peak above 18 after subsequent transplant, islet function gradually declined without obvious reason within a year or 2 with BETA-2 below 13 requiring re-introduction of insulin support. (Fig 4).One of these patients has not been able to stop insulin completely despite 3 subsequent transplants but BETA-2 has never increased above 18, which confirms utility of BETA-2. 12% (14/121) of BETA-2 measurements above 18 were made during the early period after iTx, when insulin was administered irrespectively of beta-cell function, in order to facilitate islet engraftment. In 80.2% of cases (142/177) where BETA-2 value was above the cut-off of 13, patients were off-insulin. The remaining 19.8% were on insulin due to failing islet function with dropping BETA-2 or supporting post infusion islet engraftment as described above. BETA-2 calculations below 13 were in 94.4% (113/121) in patients receiving insulin. Remaining 6.6% of BETA-2 calculations (8/121) were below the cut-off of 13, yet patients were still off insulin due to their non-compliance to the recommendation to resume insulin therapy based on clinically evident suboptimal glucose control. CONCLUSION: BETA-2 score, based on only a single fasting blood sample is a very reliable tool for islet function assessment and allows early detection of islet graft decline before obvious clinical symptoms.
sourceCopyright © 2013 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. All rights reserved.
version2
lds50peer_reviewed
links
openurl$$Topenurl_article
backlink$$Uhttp://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&NEWS=n&CSC=Y&PAGE=fulltext&D=ovft&AN=00007890-201807001-00123$$EView_record_at_Wolters_Kluwer_Health_Ovid_Technologies
openurlfulltext$$Topenurlfull_article
addlink$$Uhttp://exlibris-pub.s3.amazonaws.com/aboutOvid.html$$EView_Wolters_Kluwer_Health,_Lippincott,_Williams_&_Wilkins_Copyright_Statement
search
creatorcontrib
0Bachul, J, Piotr
1Gołębiewska, R, Justyna
2Basto, T, Lindsay
3Kijek, T, Mark
4Fillman, T, Natalie
5Cieply, T, Kamil
6Golab, T, Karolina
7Wang, T, Ling-Jia
8Tibudan, T, Martin
9Thomas, T, Celeste
10Dębska-Ślizień, T, Alicja
11Fung, T, John
12Witkowski, T, Piotr
titleBETA-2 Score Allows for Convenient and Precise Monitoring of Islet Function and Early Detection of Islet Dysfunction
descriptionINTRODUCTION: BETA-2 was developed to more conveniently and precisely assess islet graft function than commonly used beta-score, which requires a stimulation test. After validation of BETA-2 in our cohort of patients in relation to 90-min glucose in a mixed meal tolerance test and beta-score, we decided to assess the practical utility of BETA-2 in monitoring islet allograft function in individual patients. METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed BETA-2 calculations during clinical evaluations in islet allotransplantation (ITx) recipients with up to 3 islet infusions. We specifically looked in reference to previously established BETA-2 cut-offs for the detection of glucose intolerance <18 and insulin independence >13. RESULTS: We analyzed 298 BETA-2 scores calculated in 14 patients (7 women and 7 men) with an average age of 42.9 ± 9.5 years. In these patients, BETA-2 correlated well with islets function. Four patients, who experienced stable, long-term insulin independence after only one transplant, had a BETA-2 continuously over 18 (Fig 1).(Figure is included in full-text article.)Another 3 patients required a second transplant to reach the same outcome with the same BETA-2 characteristic (Fig 2).(Figure is included in full-text article.)In those patients, despite only discrete changes in fasting glucose level, the BETA-2 decreased to below 18 and continued gradually declining. This drop in BETA-2 always predicted islet dysfunction, the need for insulin support and subsequent transplant, which became clinically obvious as BETA-2 dropped below 13 (Fig 3 and 4).(Figure is included in full-text article.)(Figure is included in full-text article.)In the remaining patients, even when BETA-2 eventually reached peak above 18 after subsequent transplant, islet function gradually declined without obvious reason within a year or 2 with BETA-2 below 13 requiring re-introduction of insulin support. (Fig 4).One of these patients has not been able to stop insulin completely despite 3 subsequent transplants but BETA-2 has never increased above 18, which confirms utility of BETA-2. 12% (14/121) of BETA-2 measurements above 18 were made during the early period after iTx, when insulin was administered irrespectively of beta-cell function, in order to facilitate islet engraftment. In 80.2% of cases (142/177) where BETA-2 value was above the cut-off of 13, patients were off-insulin. The remaining 19.8% were on insulin due to failing islet function with dropping BETA-2 or supporting post infusion islet engraftment as described above. BETA-2 calculations below 13 were in 94.4% (113/121) in patients receiving insulin. Remaining 6.6% of BETA-2 calculations (8/121) were below the cut-off of 13, yet patients were still off insulin due to their non-compliance to the recommendation to resume insulin therapy based on clinically evident suboptimal glucose control. CONCLUSION: BETA-2 score, based on only a single fasting blood sample is a very reliable tool for islet function assessment and allows early detection of islet graft decline before obvious clinical symptoms.
general
010.1097/01.tp.0000542654.38281.99
1Copyright © 2018 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
2Lippincott Williams & Wilkins - Journals
sourceidovid
recordidovid00007890-201807001-00123
issn
00041-1337
100411337
rsrctypearticle
creationdate2018
addtitleTransplantation
searchscopeovid
scopeovid
sort
titleBETA-2 Score Allows for Convenient and Precise Monitoring of Islet Function and Early Detection of Islet Dysfunction
authorBachul, J., Piotr ; Gołębiewska, R., Justyna ; Basto, T., Lindsay ; Kijek, T., Mark ; Fillman, T., Natalie ; Cieply, T., Kamil ; Golab, T., Karolina ; Wang, T., Ling-Jia ; Tibudan, T., Martin ; Thomas, T., Celeste ; Dębska-Ślizień, T., Alicja ; Fung, T., John ; Witkowski, T., Piotr
creationdate20180700
facets
frbrgroupid7414664900526575418
frbrtype5
newrecords20180801
creationdate2018
collectionLippincott Williams & Wilkins Journals (Wolters Kluwer Health)
prefilterarticles
rsrctypearticles
creatorcontrib
0Bachul, J., Piotr
1Gołębiewska, R., Justyna
2Basto, T., Lindsay
3Kijek, T., Mark
4Fillman, T., Natalie
5Cieply, T., Kamil
6Golab, T., Karolina
7Wang, T., Ling-Jia
8Tibudan, T., Martin
9Thomas, T., Celeste
10Dębska-Ślizień, T., Alicja
11Fung, T., John
12Witkowski, T., Piotr
jtitleTransplantation
toplevelpeer_reviewed
delivery
delcategoryRemote Search Resource
fulltextfulltext
addata
aulast
0Bachul
1Gołębiewska
2Basto
3Kijek
4Fillman
5Cieply
6Golab
7Wang
8Tibudan
9Thomas
10Dębska-Ślizień
11Fung
12Witkowski
aufirst
0Piotr
1Justyna
2Lindsay
3Mark
4Natalie
5Kamil
6Karolina
7Ling-Jia
8Martin
9Celeste
10Alicja
11John
auinitm
0J.
1R.
2T.
au
0Bachul, J., Piotr
1Gołębiewska, R., Justyna
2Basto, T., Lindsay
3Kijek, T., Mark
4Fillman, T., Natalie
5Cieply, T., Kamil
6Golab, T., Karolina
7Wang, T., Ling-Jia
8Tibudan, T., Martin
9Thomas, T., Celeste
10Dębska-Ślizień, T., Alicja
11Fung, T., John
12Witkowski, T., Piotr
atitleBETA-2 Score Allows for Convenient and Precise Monitoring of Islet Function and Early Detection of Islet Dysfunction
jtitleTransplantation
risdate201807
volume102 Suppl 7S-1
spageS74
epageS74
pagesS74-S74
issn0041-1337
formatjournal
genrearticle
ristypeJOUR
abstractINTRODUCTION: BETA-2 was developed to more conveniently and precisely assess islet graft function than commonly used beta-score, which requires a stimulation test. After validation of BETA-2 in our cohort of patients in relation to 90-min glucose in a mixed meal tolerance test and beta-score, we decided to assess the practical utility of BETA-2 in monitoring islet allograft function in individual patients. METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed BETA-2 calculations during clinical evaluations in islet allotransplantation (ITx) recipients with up to 3 islet infusions. We specifically looked in reference to previously established BETA-2 cut-offs for the detection of glucose intolerance <18 and insulin independence >13. RESULTS: We analyzed 298 BETA-2 scores calculated in 14 patients (7 women and 7 men) with an average age of 42.9 ± 9.5 years. In these patients, BETA-2 correlated well with islets function. Four patients, who experienced stable, long-term insulin independence after only one transplant, had a BETA-2 continuously over 18 (Fig 1).(Figure is included in full-text article.)Another 3 patients required a second transplant to reach the same outcome with the same BETA-2 characteristic (Fig 2).(Figure is included in full-text article.)In those patients, despite only discrete changes in fasting glucose level, the BETA-2 decreased to below 18 and continued gradually declining. This drop in BETA-2 always predicted islet dysfunction, the need for insulin support and subsequent transplant, which became clinically obvious as BETA-2 dropped below 13 (Fig 3 and 4).(Figure is included in full-text article.)(Figure is included in full-text article.)In the remaining patients, even when BETA-2 eventually reached peak above 18 after subsequent transplant, islet function gradually declined without obvious reason within a year or 2 with BETA-2 below 13 requiring re-introduction of insulin support. (Fig 4).One of these patients has not been able to stop insulin completely despite 3 subsequent transplants but BETA-2 has never increased above 18, which confirms utility of BETA-2. 12% (14/121) of BETA-2 measurements above 18 were made during the early period after iTx, when insulin was administered irrespectively of beta-cell function, in order to facilitate islet engraftment. In 80.2% of cases (142/177) where BETA-2 value was above the cut-off of 13, patients were off-insulin. The remaining 19.8% were on insulin due to failing islet function with dropping BETA-2 or supporting post infusion islet engraftment as described above. BETA-2 calculations below 13 were in 94.4% (113/121) in patients receiving insulin. Remaining 6.6% of BETA-2 calculations (8/121) were below the cut-off of 13, yet patients were still off insulin due to their non-compliance to the recommendation to resume insulin therapy based on clinically evident suboptimal glucose control. CONCLUSION: BETA-2 score, based on only a single fasting blood sample is a very reliable tool for islet function assessment and allows early detection of islet graft decline before obvious clinical symptoms.
pubCopyright © 2018 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
doi10.1097/01.tp.0000542654.38281.99
date2018-07